Benefits of Student Media

BGSN

Key Benefits Of School Media Programs

While many people may see media programs as just another elective course to fill a student’s schedule… that’s just not the case. Not only can students satisfy their graduation pathways by participating in these courses but they can also open the door to a vast number of media related jobs, some you never realized were a part of radio, television and other mediums.

Doing a simple job search online can yield results for opportunities as on camera or on air talents, sales and marketing roles but you also have opportunities to become Social Media Directors, Engineers (the Society of Broadcast Engineers is based in Indianapolis and looking for future engineers), IT experts, videographers, photographers, human resource professionals, business managers, Master Control Operators, Promotions Producers, Directors and many other roles related to media.

In addition to growing opportunities for future employment there are tangible benefits your student(s) can experience TODAY in a school media program. Below are some examples.

• Inclusion – School media that is for the students and run by the students (with the help of a competent instructor) can build an inclusive atmosphere in the school. Media is at its base all about communication and running a a daily news program, radio show, or broadcasting sports and other school events takes commitment and teamwork for it to be a success.
  • Building Confidence – Most people find talking on camera or into a “live” mic intimidating, but in a closed room with just your peers it can become far less intimidating as you develop a podcast, internet radio show or even being the anchor on your student newscast. Students are encouraged to express their views and build their confidence whether it is discussing important issues or sharing ideas. Media gives them a confident voice within school.
  • Develop Speaking & Listening Skills – Much of what we do in school, work and life is defined simply by our speaking and listening ability. Whether students are hosting, listening back to previous work, or listening to classmates they are building vital skills that are not only fundamental in media but are essential for ‘real world’ skills
  • Improving Literacy – Seems strange to some to be talking about writing skills in radio and tv but the first time a student looks at the ‘mic’, or is about to be on camera and then asks what they should say… they realize the need for script writing, preparing between breaks, revisions and updating on the fly. Extend this preparation for talk shows, dramas, interviews and live events and it is clear that writing plays a big role in our program. This is one way media programs support core curriculum.
  • Giving Students A Voice and Empowerment– Media in the school offers a platform for all students to discuss the issues that matter to them in a non-confrontational format.  Whether it is discussing important issues or sharing the music they love, the media gives your students a voice within your school.
  • Teamwork –  Planning and presenting programs requires a great deal of teamwork. Many schools run their media programs like a ‘real’ media outlet assigning roles and responsibilities for presenters, engineers and station management.

Learn more about other high school and college media programs by visiting the Indiana Association of Student Broadcasters.